Sunday, December 25, 2011

Another seizure ....



Poor sick lil Tobo : (((

Thursday night our beloved son had another febrile convulsion/seizure (fever fit). This one lasted much longer, around 12-15 minutes, and it scared the 7*(*&(*&%^&^  out of us all. Daddy was home and so was poor Willo, just turned 13. What a horror for a young man to see.

Toby is okay!

It was just so scary, just as scary as last time, though I managed to hold it together (just),  I did think my boy was dying .. again ... and while I know about febrile convulsions now and I know they happen to some kids and they grow out of them, shit, when you watch the most precious little thing in your life, the love of your life, lie on a couch his arms and legs jerking towards his chest every second or so, and his eyes open, slightly rolled back and focussing on God knows what ... you just lose it.

I called the ambulance after 3-5 minutes of the fit starting ... they took 9 minutes to arrive this time ... but Tobo was coming to by the time they got here. Mummy went in the ambulance to Princess Margaret Hospital for kids in Perth, and dad and Willo followed in the car.

Toby's temp peaked at 39.4 in the ambulance, he had an EEG, his heart rate was 169/140 ... we had four hours in the hospital under observation. Poor Toby was listless, he couldn't sit up by himself, he cried when they looked down his throat, and, again, he was naked and we had to catch his pee-pee. No infections detected.  He slept on mummy's chest for a couple of hours, then he perked up and smiled : ))) He had a walk in dad's arms around the ward and he noticed the stars on the floor and pointed and said loudly "Star!' "Star!"

We got the all clear and went home aground 3am. I stayed up with little baby boy on her lap watching late night crap on TV just watching him breathe. At 6am, an hour after the sun rose,  his temp spiked again and by then I was beside myself with lack of sleep and fear ... and I was terrified he would fit again ... he was so hot ... I woke Bob and we sponged Tobo down and he fell asleep in-between mummy and daddy. 

We've been fighting the fever with Neurofen and Panadol the past couple of days. Toby has been very ill this time. He has been a cling-on koala. He has been attached to me for the past 3 days. He wouldn't sleep without mum, settle without mum, do anything without mum. God, I am so privileged to have this gorgeous loving creature as my child!!!

We went back to our GP this morning ... seriously, more so to calm me down than for Toby. GP says let it run its course, he is fine and no need for blood tests (I wanted blood tests, a at san, MRI and and a consult to a neurologist ...)

Tonight Toby had Neurofen at 7pm and he stirred at 11pm and he was lovely and cool, he went back to sleep. The fever has broken. 

I leave you with this,  so true .... and some Tobertron pics.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." - Elizabeth Stone












17 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Meg so sorry to hear about Toby - but glad he is feeling better!!! Have a lovely Christmas and hope this is the last of the seizures!!!Karen

Anu said...

<3 <3 <3

temmytango said...

oh Meg, it breaks my heart to read this. Can you believe while at work today, i met a guy called Toby and i said i knew a Toby and wasnt so sure whether you called him Toby goodness or delicious Toby in one of your posts.Please give him a cuddle for me and i will remember him in my prayers.I can only imagine how you felt. A mothers love!!!

lucylu said...

Oh No!!!!! Meg this gave me goose bumps, I really hoped he wouldn't have another one! So sorry it ages parents ten years every time. The worse thing to see ever in your baby. Josh would take 2 weeks to get over everyone as they say it is like running a marathon, the energy that goes into a seizure! Ring me or email anytimexxx

The Heffernan's said...

How could anyone not love that face! Get better soon Toby because you are scaring your parents! Have a lovely xmas. xxxxx

jojo said...

Oh no!!! My heart sank when I saw the title of your post. But you sound really calm, despite the calamity you must have faced. I hope you and tobes never have to go through it again. That is my Christmas wish.

He is so beautiful and that quote is so true.

Xxx

Bernadette & Duane said...

Dear Meg, I am so thankful that he is feeling better. I cannot imagine the stress and fear the seizures must cause you. Sincerely hoping that it will be the very last one ever! Thanks for sharing the sweetest little pictures-- a happy and healthy new year to your family!

Tigerlilycat said...

Whew!! Good news is he had a fever so you knew what it was, but that wouldn't have made it any less scary. So other than trying to keep him cool and over the counter medication, is that all you can do??

And onto much happier thoughts - can see why you purchased ALL of the photos. The bubble shot is my favourite. Looking forward to you posting some Toby-in-destruct-mode-attacking-xmas-pressie shots.

Tigerlilycat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aleksandra said...

Gorgeous and so happy his fever broke. Merry Christmas to you all.

TJ said...

I cannot imagine how horrible it must be to feel so helpless as your son is suffering. I pray Toby outgrows these fevers and seizures quickly. I'm sure I'd have a head full of grey hair if it happened to my little girl. I wish you a joyful Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Stephaniekb said...

So glad to hear he's better; what a scary time to go through. So sorry you won't have happier memories of this Christmas, but I hope you all have a delayed celebration when you've all recovered sleep and sanity. Tell Toby that people are sending him get well wishes from all around the world.

Edward said...

I would about lose my ever loving mind....I commend you for your motherly strength!!! AND hope you never have to do it again.
Feel better T-man!!!

Mumbai Beginnings said...

So sorry to hear about the seizures...it's a terrible helpless feeling watching your child suffer and not be able to help him...give him a hug and a kiss; I swear he gets cuter with each new picture!! You guys hang in there...Rene'

Doug and Bill said...

Oh sorry to hear this. Toby you get better now, ok? Hoping that 2012 doesn't hold any more of these things for all of you. Toby is adorable! Love the photos.

Merry Christmas!

Saskia said...

So scary!, so glad he is ok & back to being a total Star!!

Oddity Acres Clan said...

Hi Meg.
We went through this for a few years with our son. It is scarey as hell and I want you to know you guys are hadnlign it perfectly. Much love to you and the family.

xoxo